Sunday, August 24, 2008

A bit of irony at church

We went back to church today for the first time in a while. I really love the church, and its people. I found the church service today incredibly ironic. The church is nearly united in its support for Obama. Several people brought up Obama during the candle lighting ceremony. Kirk preached a sermon about liberals and liberalism. He also talked about the dangers of McCarthyism. Everyone was so into the sermon. I agreed with so much that he said. I think that liberal ideals will save this country. The irony came because people - people nearly united behind Obama - were so into the sermon. It just proves to me that we are desperate for anyone to believe in. Ironic, isn't it, that we believe in liberal ideals and believe in opposing McCarthyism, and yet we're so desperate that we're backing a strong moderate who voted for modern day McCarthyism (a.k.a. The Patriot Act). I left church thoroughly depressed.

No comments: