Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Day Without a Gay

Today was designated as "A Day Without a Gay." The idea was for people to "call in gay," so that people would see the impact that the GLBT community makes in everyday life. I know there are people who think all GLBT people need to disappear. I got to thinking about what my life would be like without GLBT people in it.

I would never have met the lovely couple (who've been together about twice as long as Trey and I) at church who brought over the lovely hand knitted baby wrap for Olivia after she was born. We still weren't very integrated into the church, and they made us feel like we were important and valued at the church. I have a great picture in my scrapbook of one of the ladies holding Olivia when she was still pretty small at one of our church camp outs. Yes, I go to a church where that is accepting and even welcoming to members of the GLBT community. Our church would look very different without those members, and it would be a sad change.

I wouldn't have one of my best friends in my life. A person who has known me since I was a kid, who has seen my successes and failures, who has seen me at my best and my worst, and still loves me. I would have never met her lovely wife, who I hope to get to know better if we ever get to move out of Denver!

I wouldn't have another dear friend in my life. The friend who shares me silly love of and obsession with the Oscars! The person with whom I get together every Oscar day for some serious Oscar watching, dishing, and noshing. I would never have gotten to spend time with her partner who I love being around.

I wouldn't have a family member in my life - someone whom I treasure and enjoy. I wouldn't get to have long talks with her when we get together. I would never had gotten to have the fun and laughter that I've had with her.

I could go on and on, but really I can sum it up by saying that I am blessed to have the GLBT people I know in my life. I truly feel sorry for people who have shut themselves off from the blessings that I enjoy.

No comments: