Sunday, January 4, 2015

Treasure map

I have a lot to say in my mind, but not much of it wants to come out today. In honor of my quest to return to blogging, I am going to make a short post anyway. A couple of days ago, I made a treasure map for this year. I've always wanted to do that, and some years I've even gathered the supplies and made headway. This year, I have a complete map. I pretty much love it. It's strange how it is already changing the way I look at my days. It keeps the things in the forefront of my mind. I've made decisions after thinking about the map. Crazy. It's just cut out pictures and words from old magazines that I bought at the thrift store for $.69 each. I have the word "peace" on my map. Church is where I find peace. It's a little strange that I've found such a home where I have. I grew up Seventh-day Adventist, and they pretty much hate everything that Catholics stand for. I had a teacher who spent an entire day trying to convince us that the pope was behind the assassination of JFK. The Episcopal church is different from the Catholic church, of course, but in the eyes of the SDA, they're quite similar. There is something about the ritual and ceremony that really speaks to me and brings me peace. I find things at this church that I have never found anywhere else. I'm slowly figuring out why I love my "new" church so much. One thing I realized today is that I have a sense of history with this church. The rituals in this church connect me with a history that I've never experienced.

I don't know how the year will play out or if my treasure map will really influence the year at all. I am curious to find out. Maybe I will blog about the changes I make because of the map. Thinking of Nick and trying to honor him by truly living is causing me to look at things in a very different way.


No comments: