Thursday, January 7, 2021

The Five Things Rule

 It is very easy to become overwhelmed. So many things are going on and so many changes are happening that it is just a short step to feeling like nothing will really ever change. I know this is a self-defeating attitude, but it is a powerful one. Yesterday, I was busy and sad because it was my son's last full day at home before he went back to college in Ohio. I won't see him for probably four months. That is so hard for a parent. I didn't want to spend time cleaning and decluttering, so I instituted a "Five Things Rule." On those days I don't have to do a major decluttering or even a whole drawer I can do five things. It was easy to find five things that could go. It was a step forward, and I'll take it. 

Today, when we got back from the airport, I was extremely sad. I knew that doing some decluttering would make me feel better, but getting started is hard when all you want to do is lay in bed and have a good cry. So, I remembered my "Five Things Rule." I went to the "junk drawer." I dug through there and found three things to give away and two things to throw away. Then I went outside and cleared out some things that have been sitting out of the way by our porch. Some things were just stuff that didn't get put away - a snow shovel, a snow sled, and a rake. We also had some things that could be thrown away, and there were two things that could be given away. So - bam. One more area that is cleaner, clearer, and more organized. I didn't take pictures. But I did get the picture below. Someone took some of the stuff we had put out for free and left us this lovely note. That felt good.


One of the Ms that I am focusing on this year is "movement." I am a big walker, but when I get depressed and overwhelmed, exercise is something that I have trouble doing. Getting up and getting moving is hard when all you feel like doing is laying down and ignoring the world. Luckily, I have kiddos and fur babies to help me achieve this goal. I really enjoy going to the gym, but I don't feel comfortable doing that right now during the pandemic. Our numbers are going down. If they keep going down, maybe we'll get to the point where I will feel safe enough to go to the gym. Until then, I always have these little guys to get me going. 



No comments: