Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A historic day

Today, for the first time in the history of our country, I was able to cast my vote for two women of color for president and vice president. I was so overwhelmed with emotion that I left crying. Not only did I get to vote for someone that I truly believed in, but I was able to vote for an African American woman and a Latino woman. Never before in our country has that been possible. I was able to bring my daughter up to the poll, and say, "Look what is possible for you." I am so overwhelmed that I can't clearly articulate the emotions I'm feeling today.

Four years ago, I was deeply depressed. Today, I am actually more disgusted with our country than I was four years ago. However, the fact that I was able to vote my conscience, and in doing so was able to vote for two women of color, has gone a long way to healing my spirit.

No comments: