Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The end of second grade

Today was Beth Ann's last day of school. She had fabulous teachers this year. I have to admit that I've been kind of scared of my kids going to school because my first and second grade teachers were sisters of the devil. My children have had the greatest teachers, and I am so thankful for that. Beth Ann has learned so much this year. Here's a picture of Beth Ann with her awesome teachers.

Tonight was pretty historic. Barack Obama claimed enough delegates to be the Democratic nominee for president. This election has been historic. The runner up, who is not far behind Obama, is Hillary Rodham Clinton. Trey and I have been trying to make sure the kids understand why this election is historic. Obama being the first biracial/African American (I know some people can't stand the term biracial, but as a parent it seems important to me to not discount one half of his parentage - it just seems wrong to do that) nominee, and Clinton being the first woman. It's pretty amazing. I really wanted to be jazzed up tonight, but unfortunately I just don't believe in the Democratic party anymore. They're all about appeasing people and not about standing up for what is right. I've been a Democrat my entire life. I was writing to politicians long before I was old enough to vote. I've pounded the pavement for the Democrats, I given them money, I've argued the Democratic stance until I was blue in the face, but they just don't deserve that kind of commitment anymore. Fortunately for my idealism, I have found someone I can believe in - Cynthia McKinney (who by the way is an African American and a woman! She's not afraid to say that GMOs should be outlawed. She's not afraid to stand up in congress and call for the impeachment of the president. I just hope she can get the support she deserves. Anyway, it was pretty great to know you were witnessing a moment that would go down in history - and in a good way. I've seen several "historic moments." Most of them were of the kind we wish hadn't happened: 9/11, two disastrous shuttle missions, the start of two stupid gulf wars. It was nice to sit and know you were witnessing something historic that would be a positive mark in history.

No comments: