Saturday, May 3, 2008

Aunt Rita

This week my Aunt Rita died. I want to talk about her a little bit. The last few years of her life she suffered from Alzheimer's which is a horrid and vile disease. It steals a person's last few years, and it is so unfair. The last time I saw my Aunt Rita, she was visiting my parents in Arkansas with her oldest son and daughter-in-law. I think she barely remembered me at that point. Aunt Rita was a really neat person. She suffered a lot of tragedy including the death of her very young child, the death of an older child, a grandchild, and her brother, and yet she still always seemed so full of life. She genuinely cared about people, and you could always tell that when you were around her. She gave great hugs, and loved to laugh. The world needs people like my Aunt Rita, and there is a hole in the world that she left that can never be filled. I am privileged to have had her in my life.

No comments: